Sunday, March 29, 2009

DRY SPELL

This poem was written at a time when I was feeling down and as if I were just going through the motions. I started out writing how I felt and as I went on, soul searching led me to the reality of Gods truth.

As dawn turns to day and the traffic slows down
The factory winds up to belch smoke from its crown
I rise from what sleep I achieved through the night
Walk into my day and I'm flying the same kite

Facts and figures, debts and bills
A new pain in my head and I'm swallowing pills
I must buy new clothes and I must cut my hair
I must walk the walk and I must not despair

I set time aside to pray in the morn
I start to confess then remember the scorn
I received yesterday and my mind starts to race
Then I think of another tough thing that I face

I'm walking the paths of the world once again
I was talking to God now I'm anxious of men
It's a pattern emerging that haunts me of late
I was closer than close, now the distance seems great

It bothers me so that I'm feeling so dry
I'm seeming to crawl when I'm needing to fly
I'm getting confused as I beat myself up
Though I know that the devil will refill this cup

Then there's that voice and it's ever so faint
It tells me I sin but I'm also a saint
It tells me "My child, though you strive and you pace,
I sent you My Son, you are under My grace"

He deserted His throne and He came down to die
and I marvel at how I can cry out and sigh
He carried my sin and He fell to His knees
With the cross on His back and His blood for the fee

You are my rock O Nazarene!
I get my hands dirty but you wash them clean
You HAVE forged my path, you HAVE set the stage
You ARE by my side 'till the end of the age

Though I feel down and a little removed
I will stay on your path Lord because you have proved
That your Word is the truth and your love is the way
and I want to stand with you on that holy day

No comments:

Post a Comment